Monday, November 21, 2011

Blog #10: Identity/The Self

As the chapter on Postmodernism pointed out, humans and the human identity are constantly shifting, as the language we use changes and evolves. Because language is constantly undergoing change, so is the way we define ourselves. For example, throughout the course of a day everyone takes on different identities to suit their current circumstances or situation. Throughout the course of a day I take on different roles to adapt to my surroundings and the people around me- these roles include student, employee, friend, daughter, sister, girlfriend, homekeeper, and more. Because my role or “identity” is constantly changing, my identity is probably considered to be less stable and more shifting. After all, going to work and taking on the role of girlfriend or student would not be fitting or even appropriate. Technology, our cultural environment, pop culture, and media all have a significant influence on the way in which an individual takes on different identities. The easiest example that comes to mind is technologies influence on my role as a student. My education would not be the same without it and I would not have the same benefits that I have without the help of technology. Borchers discusses in the chapter on Postmodernism, “Human identity is not set. We constantly shift our conceptions of who we are based on the rhetoric we use and the rhetoric to which we are exposed” (294). My experiences definitely fit with this description. As mentioned before, my role or identity constantly changes based on who I am with, where I am, my surroundings, etc. The way I speak with a supervisor and the way I speak to a friend will be completely different. Being and speaking in different ways with different people also shifts the way I view myself as a person- my “conception” of the person I am shifts based on my surroundings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment